It’s Friday afternoon and you’re already planning your happy hour or tonight’s bar hopping adventure. Keep in mind that alcohol has a lot of calories. It’s funny because people tend to think of it as water. Oh no! Not even close.
I did a little research and came up with a list of “to have” and “not to have” drinks when you go out tonight and tomorrow night!
Drinks to Have:
- Bloody Mary – one of my favorites! Supposedly it’s not a night out on the town type of drink but a morning one but you can still order it any time! 5 oz glass – 120 calories
- Red Wine – duh! you already knew that. Low in calories ( as compared to other drinks that is) and will keep your heart healthy!
- Light Beer – if you’re going to order beer, try the light kind, that will save you some calories (about 45-50 calories less per glass)
- Gin & Tonic – not too bad, 7 oz glass will supply you with 200 calories
- Tom Collins – that is if you like lemon! 8 oz glass only has 120 calories!
- Whiskey Sour – 8 oz glass gives 160 calories, not horrible!
You ready for the worst drinks out there? Ok here we go!
Drinks to Not Have:
- Pina Colada – avoid this one! It sure is good but 8 oz glass can have as much as 800 calories, ouch!
- Long Island Iced Tea – this is a trouble maker for sure, 8 oz glass has about 500 calories
- Margarita – so good yet so bad for you! 8 oz glass will give you about 400 calories
- White Russian – I mentioned this one because I recently tried it, it is also the “dude’s” favorite drink, 6 oz glass=360 calories
As you see calories will add up quickly. Just a few drinks can result in about 2000 calories! Holy cow!
Be reasonable when you’re out there. Drink smart! And of course, don’t drink and drive.